Monday, March 10, 2014

Why Can'T I Install Compression Fittings Without Leaks



I've tried a number of times to use hard copper tubing and compression fittings to hook things up like icemakers, dishwashers, sinks, and toilets.
My last attempt was using 1/4 tubing to install an icemaker in the kitchen. After cutting off no less than 6 compression fittings that leaked through the nut, I gave up and installed a hose.
In my bathroom remodel, which has exposed toilet and sink connections, I thought it would be classy to install chrome hard tubing as opposed to hoses. So I bent a nice piece of tubing for the toilet, pre-fit it, squared the ends perfectly, and guess what... it's leaking through the top of the nut.
I can try to tighten more, but in my experience, the leak is going to get worse the more I tighten.
Any tips? What might I be doing wrong???

I feel your pain, I am not a big fan of copper compression on icemaker lines either. When ever possible I try to install plastic type tubing rated for icemaker use. I have had more success with 1/2 compression supply valves. The key is everything straight, no kinks, no bends, no small arcs, etc so that everything seals. The toilet one probably needs to have the bend higher up closer to the toilet. Fit the tube into the socket, then slide the compression ring down and seat it and THEN bring the nut down when everything is aligned. Once you slide that nut down, you can't see whats going on, if you align first, you will have better chances of success.

Thanks. I did keep the bend up high, so it was a square run of the tubing in to the compression fitting. I just did a couple of wraps of teflon around the ferrule and all seems good. I know it's not 'right' to use teflon tape, but it has worked...

You're using a brass ferrule right? Back in the day, those chrome supply tubes and compression fittings was the only game in town. The only problems I remember were having a bend too close to the fitting causing it to go out of round or over tightening. Of course you want to use an adjustable flat jawed wrench, not a pipe wrench or pliers.

No tape. That is restrictive.
Put a dab of Teflon paste around the ferrule and on the threads. You will never have a leak...

Pipe dope works great on them like lawrosa said. IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF you really want to get it good go Blue Block. Slop it on let it dry then slop a bit on the outside and let it dry. I remember once in a bad thread in my buddies house we slobbed it on a small pin drip/leak and after about 3 goes it held for like 6 years until we replaced the pipe lol.
http://www.audubonsupply.com/prodimg..._120_15707.jpg

I probably would not use block as tevil suggested. Use a product rated and safe for drinking water lines. This is a all around product I have always used.
http://www.herchem.com/specs/realtuff.pdf






Tags: install, compression, fittings, compression fittings, around ferrule, tubing compression