Monday, March 10, 2014

Cutting Tool For Shingles



Is there a better tool for cutting shingles than a utility knife? I wasn't able to find any roofer's blade at the local store, but would like to use a power tool to gang cut them if possible. I'm starting a re-roof involving two skylights, a chimney, and a wall, so I've got quite a bit of cutting to do.

You might look into a product called Shingle Shear, which is like a giant paper cutter, but for shingles. there are also other tools like this under various names.
As an alternative, some roofers use giant scissors-like shears to cut shingles. Hook blades are what most roofers use I would suppose. If you keep looking, you're bound to find them, and they are invaluable.
I don't do a lot of roofing (thank God) but when I do, I use a regular utility knife and a framing square. Flip the shingles over and cut them on the soft back side, rather than dulling the blade in the shingle grit. I use hook blades only to cut the valleys and cut off any rake edges that I've left long.

We use tin snips to do most of the cutting.
Go to homedepot.com and search for Husky 10 Tin Snips.

Of the hundreds and hundreds of roofs I've done in the past 10 plus years a utility knife with a hook blade is all I've ever used. There are a few types of hook blades, you want the ones not made in Asia for cutting shingles. I think the roofing ones are made in England or someplace nearby. I pay $35-45 for 100 hook blades. If you buy one pack at a time of five blades you will pay $3.50 to $4.50.
If roofing over you may want to consider cutting all the eave and rake shingles and install drip edge. You will also have to remove all vents and the ridge shingles to do a re-roof properly. Going around skylights and chimneys are fun!!! A couple years ago I couldn't talk a homeowner into tearing off his roof and I had to re-roof his house which had 9 skylights on a 4/12 pitch. I used so much tar and caulk it could never leak!!!
I think even Stanly sells a decent hook blade for cutting shingles. If your considering buying a special shingle cutting tool for your house you'll be wasting your money. The average price for a shingle shears is around $300. If your doing just one roof consider buying a shears like buying a roofing gun something you may not use in a long long time.

Thanks for the responses. I found a package of Stanley hooked blades today and they are working nicely with the utility knife. Not like slicing butter, but not as tough as the standard utility blade. I got a little desperate and pulled out my power saw, which did a good job too. I stacked about four shingles, clamped to my garage workbench, and wiped the blade with mineral spirits after each cut to get the gummy tar off. Of course, this was not done on the roof, for the starter shingles only, and done with with a generous saw tooth on a smooth cut setting. I have a pair of metal snips, but didn't think to use them.
Man, my nerves would be shot after the first rain with that many skylights on a low pitch roof like that! I have one skylight on a 2:12 BUR and could kick myself for not eliminating it when I had it reroofed a year ago.

I'm not sure were your roofing but as it gets colder I go through more blades. On a good hot summer day laying fiberglass shingles I can roof a 35sq house with one hook blade and the same house done in the dead of winter can take 5-7 blades. I've never cut shingles with anything but a utility knife but a saw could work if you take your time. I saw an edge cut once by a homeowner and his circular saw, wow did it look bad!






Tags: cutting, tool, shingles, utility knife, cutting shingles, hook blade, hook blades, ones made, skylights pitch, with hook, with hook blade