Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Battery Dead



Hi. I have a battery backup on my home security system. Guy who installed it at the time said i would have to call them back to replace the battery when it went out. I dont want to spend $100 to do that!
Im sure its something I can buy/do?
Here's the parameters of the battery, from what I can tell:
12v 4ah ca1240
I know its a 12 volt battery, but i have no idea what the other stuff it.
Can I just purchase a 12v battery and connect the terminals?

It shouldn't be a problem replacing that battery yourself, but post your panel type so it can be ensured. You need a 12 volt 4 amp/hour battery. And in most cases they will have .187 terminals. I would try a battery specialty store for replacement.

Juist go to an internet serch engine and type in 12v 4ah battery.
Should be around $12 plus shipping.

Excellent! I just found this link:
http://www.amazon.com/Batteries-com-Sealed-Lead-Battery-FB12-4-5/dp/B00099DV2G/sr=8-1/qid=1159465053/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-0072837-7643109?ie=UTF8s=electronics
I think I'll get it.
kcxj - im not sure i know what type my panel is? I know the system is a Vista and installed about 5 years ago?

Alright, now Im a little confused:
1) Im not sure whay kind of stores are battery specialty stores.
2) This is what I found on the net:
12V / 4Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery For FB12-4.5
12V / 4Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery For 450VA
12V / 4Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery For CP-S375SL
12V / 4Ah Sealed Lead Acid Battery For 12 Volts / 4 Ah
I dont know which wouuld go with mine!?

http://www.lufkinsecurity.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATSCategory=80
This should do ... Just make sure it has the same connections...

Interstate, batteries, Joe's Batteries...that sort of thing. Stores that sell nothing but batteries.

If you have a Radio Shack nearby, I would goto them.
Lil more pricey but much more common to find and they're guaranteed to have it in stock.
12v4a batt should cost about 15-20 bucks, but if you can afford the space in your panel (twice your current battery length) I would scale up to a 12v7a batt for about 30 bucks.
Depending on your panel...most are plug and play. On some panels the battery indicator will dissapear immediately. On some, it will go after about 4 hours. And others, you'll have to reset.
-Jesse

of coourse, you can buy a 12V4ah to intead the old one by yourself
1, check the size if any speical
2, check the terminal and connectors

Don't overthink this. If your system is a Vista (of any model), any 12v 4 to 7 AH Sealed lead acid battery will work just fine.
Unplug old battery, plug in new battery. No, you don't need to power down the system. It may take up to 24 hours for the battery trouble to clear.

Thread is almost 5 years old, guys.






Tags: battery, Acid Battery, Lead Acid, Sealed Lead Acid, your panel, battery specialty, Lead Acid Battery, Lead Acid Battery, Sealed Lead, Sealed Lead, Sealed Lead Acid Battery