Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Gas Cooktop Installation



Hi all,
I recently got a price by a licensed plumber to hook-up my new gas cooktop. Whopping $250 bucks! Now I know I am in ny where prices are high but I think I am beiing gouged here. 15 minutes tops to connect flex gas line. Anyway, I would like to hook it up myself and need the experts to weigh in on if a DIY'ercan do this. Also, what do you thinks of the 250 bucks estimate?
The same plumber also wants 450 bucks to hook up my new kitchen sink and faucet (new trap and valves). Needless to say I will be tackling this one myself too. Any advice, links, articles, books that you think will be helpful would be greatly appreciated. Thx. FC

First of all, you are not just paying for the time there. They have to drive out to your place (twice if he has to look at it) Pull a permit, and then there is overhead, insurance, bond, licensing, and their knowledge. We charge $100-$125 just to show up at your door to work for the first hour. Labor rates will vary widely around the US.
Now, more to your question: Is the gas line already there? Is the cooktop already set? Do you need a regulator or is there one on the unit?
Depending on your skill level, I believe this is a DIY job for sure but it depends on you.

If all the piping is in place and it is just a matter of connecting the flexible gas connection and turning on the shut-off valve then yes, you can do-it-yourself. Be sure that the flare connections are scrupulously clean and don't have any nicks or dents. Some will advise you to use some pipe joint compound on the flared portion, some on the threaded portion and some on both but I say to either keep them completely clean or use no more than a drop of light oil on the flare and threads.
If you need to install a flare-to-pipe thread adapter then you DO need to use a paste thread sealant approved for natural gas on the male threads ONLY. Do not allow any paste on the first two threads. Use an approved gas leak testing liquid on all connections after completing the job.
The sink is probably easier and I suggest that you visit your local library and check out several DIY books on home plumbing for step-by-step instructions.

Thanks Tolyn. Points well taken. The gas line is there. Cooktop is not yet set. Waiting for my granite to go in. There is a regulator in place however I will be changing that as a new regulator came wit the cooktop. So I think I am going to give it a shot. Thx again. FC

Thanks Furd. I didn't know what a flare connection was so googled it and now I know.
I do not see a flare connection in my set up. Should there be one? Thx again. FC

Gas hookups are many times done with flair fittings. You will need a flaring tool but they are less than $20. You may also want to check out the gas hookup kits at the home store/hardware store and talk to the people there. They should point you in the right direction.
I also suggest picking up a bottle of leak detector.

I do not see a flare connection in my set up
You don't see a flare fitting on the end of the flex line? The cooktop will come with an iron to flare fitting, I am sure. If not, they are easily purchased.

Thanks Chandler. Quick follow-up - with the flex line can I go directly from the cooktop register to the main gas line or do i need to use the rigid black pipe coming off of the cooktop? Thx again
FC

If you want to look further into having this done for you, call a few more places to see if they're in line with the estimates you got from the original guy.






Tags: cooktop, flare connection, flex line, flare fitting, portion some, there They